- Our role
- WordPress training provider
- Client location
- Edinburgh, UK
We like to think we’re pretty well educated at Peacock Carter, but when the University of Edinburgh approached us to provide a comprehensive WordPress training course for some of their graphic design staff, we were surprised at first. Once their requirements were made clear, though, we were more than qualified to help!
The client required a multi-day, onsite training course in WordPress development to help upskill their graphic design team to be able to start building simple, responsive WordPress websites inhouse.
Bespoke WordPress development course in Edinburgh
The training course materials were tailored to the client’s desired learning outcomes for their staff members, and included the following topics over the course of a number of days:
- Introduction to website design: with team members having many years of experience in print design,
- Introduction to HTML and CSS: once the concepts of good web design were in place, we could begin providing knowledge of the fundamental building blocks of every website: HTML (HyperText Markup Language). Learning how different HTML elements provide a context. Once that was clear, the training course covered how HTML elements can be styled using CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) to create the designs created in software such as Photoshop and Sketch.
- Overview of WordPress and its functionality: to give team members an idea of the strengths and weaknesses of the WordPress platform in a web development context.
- WordPress theme development for beginners: Now that HTML and CSS was becoming more familiar for the delegates, team members were introduced to the basics of WordPress theme development, from making small to a WordPress child theme based on a parent theme, to building their own WordPress theme from scratch.
- Introduction to responsive (mobile-friendly) website development in WordPress: finally, the training course incorporated content on how to build a modern, responsive WordPress theme using all of the skills they had learned to date. This resulted in the creation of several prototype sites based on real artwork for their internal clients.
Comprehensive notes for all team members were provided after the training course, and the confidence of team members present in creating websites with the WOrdPress platform have certainly increased.
If you would like to discuss a similar Introduction to WordPress website development course for your organisation, please do get in touch!